Saturday, May 07, 2005

English-speaking day

The hottest topic for the season: last day and first day.
If we keep on talking about last day and first day, there will be no end. But still, please spare a minute for my last day at work.
Not much to tell, i've only told one of my colleagues last week that i'm leaving. And today, i told most of them that after today i'm really leaving.
Jamie is the best drama teacher i've ever met and a very very talented artist. Poor him, he is the one who was granted the generous contract from Disney. Yea...$47 per hour, has to run around being punched by kids in those incredibly ugly costume in hot and humid summers (typical monsoon climate). In compare with his $50,000 daily income in show. Of course, he didn't accept it. According to his term: "The salary is disgusting."
He was interested if i'm going to start a teaching career. He has the mystic belief, which i believe has no base at all, that my university major is education and i love teaching.
I said: "no, i don't think so. There aren't so many arts schools in Hong Kong. (J: APA.) I'm not a 'professional', there is no child in APA and i don't think i can teach anything."
Jamie: "oh, guess we've really turn you off."
I mean, what can i teach in arts school anyway? Teach them how to mess around, have fun and never obey your teachers? I can certainly do that.
Have a new schedule, didn't go to my usually -fun-half-past-four-muscial-theatre class. I would have took photos with my cutie sweeties.
Anyway, still cool. Have exchanged e-mail addresses with my buddy Anne-Fabienne(ballet teacher), hope we can still keep in touch.
Stayed outside the building for minutes during lunch, breathing. That's the way i love the company. Read the place from outside, understand it and adore its beauty.

People may have to spend millions of dollars just for the view.

Inside Kids' gallery, the Musical Theatre studio. (see my orange handbag on the cupboard)
I didn't use to understand why friends of mine fancy those high-rise buildings and chains of car that can be found everywhere in Hong Kong. The reverse hallucination has faded after one year in the State, Hong Kong is now right at my eye. If one day, i'm leaving Hong Kong for good, i will take a picture (for sure i can also do it now) of the night scene of the Wan Chai Hennessy Road from the footbridge (the firework-like chains of car lights) and this:

The Central Brothers.



Whole day english day.
Couldn't get any internet connection with my Dad's laptop and i have to call UK to help get the software activation key for my Dad.
Conversation with a total stranger:
Q: (Explained my situation)...do you think you can help?
S: ...(Told me his situation...well, it was Saturday afternoon in UK and nobody is supposed to work and he had to write down my activation code first and see if he can connect to the server...... at home) So where do you base?
Q: Hong Kong.
S: How's the weather in Hong Kong? (My bloody god holy cow...never hesitate to tell everyone you are British huh?)...It's Saturday afternoon in UK, is it friday in Hong Kong?
Q: Oh no, it's Saturday night.
S: Oh wow, you are still working on Saturday night?
Q: Ah yea.
......(finding his pen)......
Q: Saturday should be holiday you know.
S: (laugh) yes, for sure. Should never work in Saturday. (Okay, i'm sorry.)
Q: Yea, but i've got so much to do. (sigh)
......
S: okay, can i have your name and phone number? Will you still be here in an hour? Can i call you back in an hour and i have connection to the server?
Q: Sure... (details)
.
.
(After an hour)
.
Q: (greetings and details and confusions)
S: Okay, Queenie, so can you tell me your activation code and i'll give you the activation key?
...
S: Okay, type in your full name and password. For 'type' choose 'M' for manager, i suppose you are a manager.
......
Q: Oh, it's working. Thank you so much, you've been a great help.
S: You're welcome Queenie. You can e-mail or call me if you have any problems. But please beware of the time difference between UK and Hong Kong.
Q: Oh.....sorry. I'm terribly sorry for that.
S: I don't want to receive calls at 2 am (LOL). Call or e-mail me next time.
Q: Thanks very much. Have a good day.


Btw, i used British accent for the whole conversation.
I guess he just thinks that i'm speaking singaporean english.
BLAH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home